A pie is an effective way to use up a large amount of mushrooms at once. This recipe works well for cheese lovers who are slowly warming up to mushrooms and want to try something that brings out its texture and subtle flavours.
The Italian Oyster mushrooms worked wonderfully in this recipe. Their meatiness and mild savoury taste paired well with the cream cheese. You can add different spices and herbs to elevate the dish another level.
This recipe is adapted from MsBindy's mushroom pie on Food.com.
2 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
3 tablespoons butter
8 cups chopped mushrooms
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
8 ounces cream cheese
2 pie shells
1 tablespoon milk
Sauté the onions in butter in a large skillet.
When the onions are soft and translucent, add the mushrooms and thyme and sauté for a few more minutes, until the mushrooms release their juices.
- Add the seasonings.
- Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and stir it into the mushrooms until it melts.
- Remove from the heat and set aside until crust is ready.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
Fill the pie shell with the mushroom mixture. Place the second pie shell overtop, fold the ends underneath the bottom crust, and flute.
- For the glaze, beat the egg and milk.
- With a pastry brush, thoroughly coat the pie crust. (You will have more glaze than you will need).
- Bake the pie for 25-35 minutes, until the crust is puffy and golden.